ECOYO - A platform to exchange green energy with a human touch
Why did we start ? In Belgium , we have 400,000 prosumers and 5,000 companies producing solar PV. ECOYO was launched to understand prosumer’s and consumer’s appetite for a peer to peer electricity platform.
What did we achieve ?
- 49 B2C customers acquired using digital marketing and events
- 60 small local renewable producers (SME’s, farms).
- fully operational platform :switching of customers, market communication with DSOs, invoicing of customers, regulatory compliance
- Business understanding of energy exchange platforms
Why was it stopped ? ECOYO’s customer segment would remain fairly small. ECOYO would need several millions of euros for customer acquisition and working capital, while the price/value optimum was not yet reached and the website as conversion tool had to be improved.
What did we learn ? It is hard to ask a price premium for a B2C energy platform with a human touch. It is easy to launch a fully operational low cost platform to supply power. An electricity exchange platform requires a supplier license and financial guarantees. ECOYO-alike business will become more attractive once regulation recognizes system cost advantages of local energy communities. (e.g. multi-apartment dwellings).
The project team
- Frank VERMEULEN
- Nicolas VERSTRAETE
- Pierre-François HELLEBUYCK
- Ann KENIS