Call for non invasive solutions to evaluate the energy efficiency potential of commercial buildings
By ENGIE Factory Singaporeclosure date
ENGIE Factory Singapore is seeking smarter solutions to assess potential energy efficiency gains through building energy renovations. The desired outcome of this call for projects is a solution that can quickly scan and profile a commercial building in a non-invasive manner to provide an estimate of its current energy performance and energy efficiency potential.
ENGIE Factory Singapore is seeking smarter solutions to assess potential energy efficiency gains through building energy renovations. Buildings generate approximately 40% of global GHG emissions and constitute up to 36% of global energy use. The refurbishment and retrofitting of existing buildings provide a great potential for energy savings and reduction of carbon emissions.
Current energy modelling or assessment solutions of a building are limited in effectiveness due to the high cost and resources required, complexity in data acquisition and reliance on historical data (not all buildings have quality data). As a result, building owners have high investment barriers (both in cost and effort) to drive the necessary changes.
A solution that can quickly scan, profile and audit a building’s energy performance and potential in a non-invasive manner will likely promote wider reception and adoption of such assessment tools, hence leading to better understanding of measures that can promote energy efficiency.
The desired outcome is a solution that can quickly scan and profile a commercial building in a non-invasive manner to provide an estimate of its current energy performance and energy efficiency potential.
Technical specifications & requirements
Solution should be:
- Simple to deploy (perhaps mainly digital) with minimum manual execution required on-site – for e.g., being able to perform assessment/scan of the commercial building energy profile without needing to tap into the control systems of the building or require manual/laborious resources to execute.
- Comprehensive in assessing the energy performance of the whole building and identifying estimate energy savings potential and reducible emissions of the building (not just one or some sub-systems).
- Compliant with industry standards for measurement accuracy and benchmarking.
- Able to provide building owners a snapshot of where their priority areas are to address for energy renovation.
- Minimally at prototype/minimum viable product (MVP) stage, and able to be deployed at pilot test sites.
- Not be readily or commercially available in the market
Applicant should indicate estimated commercial price of solution and cost-benefit analysis of the solution in the proposal.
Besides addressing the above requirements, the proposed solution should also fulfil one or all the following criteria:
- Enhance safety of operations;
- Reduce reliance of manpower;
- Improve quality, consistency and service delivery;
- Achieve cost-effectiveness;
- Improve efficiency/productivity.
The official language of the Challenge is English. All Challenge matters, including registration, correspondence, and project submission, etc must be completed in English.
Deadline for submision : February 14, 2020, 12pm (Singapore time)
ENGIE Factory is prepared to support the development of the solution to a commercial business. ENGIE Factory can also provide access to a global market across 70 countries.
3-6 months to pilot and validate the technical feasibility of the solution, and another 3 months to plan the commercialisation roadmap.
Enterprise Singapore may support shortlisted local startups with funding of up to 70% of the qualifying project cost, capped at $250,000. Foreign solution providers or Institutes of Higher Learning (IHLs)/Research Institutes (RI) are encouraged to work with local startups for solution development.
Startups or aspiring founders looking to build their own startup may join this innovation call. During the initial months, startups iterate solutions and test commercial solutions while ENGIE Factory provide mentorship and domain knowhow. After that, ENGIE Factory may provide the starting capital, and leverage networks to achieve product-market fit. Selected startups are invited to ENGIE’s coworking space to work and collaborate with the relevant ENGIE teams.
ENGIE Factory will inculcate design thinking, value proposition canvas and customer empathy; as well as provide the network and mentorship to help startups validate problem through customer meetings, solution prototyping, and co-creation of a preliminary business model. The startup may be given sufficient funding to achieve initial sales, and continue to access ENGIE’s networks, and a path to product-market fit.
- Technical feasibility of solution [30%]:
- Effectiveness in addressing the challenge statement
- Operational feasibility in the building premise
- Non-invasive with minimum/no impact on building operations
- Economic feasibility of solution [30%]:
- Commercialisation strategy
- Estimated commercial price
- Estimated operating/maintenance costs and potential cost-savings
- Capacity and expertise to execute project [25%]:
- Requisite capabilities and committed resources to undertake solution development
- Clarity of proposal and accompanying information on POC/MVP [15%]
Climate Change is the defining issue of our time and we are at a defining moment. From shifting weather patterns that threaten food production, to rising sea levels that increase the risk of catastrophic flooding, the impacts of climate change are global in scope and unprecedented in scale. Without drastic action today, adapting to these impacts in the future will be more difficult and costly.
The Sustainability Open Innovation Challenge brings together industry partners, government agencies and innovators to drive sustainability innovation in Singapore – for the world. We are inviting local and foreign startups and small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) to join the challenge, to develop new technologies or solutions for key sustainability challenges, ranging from resource efficiency, zero waste, green transport or sustainable built environment.
Opportunities for solution providers
- Co-innovation opportunities with government agencies and corporates
- Access to development funds (for eligible companies)
- Testbedding opportunities
- Validated challenge statements
About ENGIE Factory
Driven to deliver real impact, ENGIE Factory builds, scales and invests in startups, as well as individual founders who share the mission to accelerate the transition to zero carbon. We are an energy-specific programme that goes beyond incubation activities to incorporate co-development, test-bedding and actual deployment of solutions. Through ENGIE’s global presence in over 70 countries, ENGIE Factory provides a unique competitive advantage to startups to scale across the region and collaborate globally on energy and smart city solutions.
For more information, please visit https://apac.engiefactory.com.
I take this opportunity