Call for Projects: Data Solution for Connected Places
By ENGIE UK & Irelandclosure date
Easy Smart Grid GmbH
Solar Tree Europ
MYGOV Limited (trading as Placecube)
ENGIE UK & Ireland would like to hear from innovators and start-ups who have solutions that support the development of our Connected Places* strategy, through new technology and service based solutions
*Connected Places are local areas or regions that enhance and maximise the data arising from physical infrastructure to provide a ‘frictionless’ and value adding, digital experience for anyone who lives in, works in, plays in, visits or maintains Places.
The goal for this call is for ENGIE UK & Ireland to find a Connected Place solution that is aligned to our purpose, in particular our Urban Energy Business (1) and Places & Communities (2) North business, as well as in line with the requirements of our North East England clients.
Specifically, we are looking for solutions that align with any of the following goals:
- Creating a frictionless experience for citizens by turning physical infrastructure into digital infrastructure
- Creating a world class experience for citizens using sensors for data driven decision making
- Creating safer communities through smart technologies
- Improved allocation of government resources through data driven decision making
- Reduction in the environmental footprint of a city
- Enhanced citizen and government engagement by making government data more accessible and focussed on user experience
- Safeguarding the lives of local citizens through early intervention
(1) Urban Energy Business – We manage and grow our existing ENGIE District Energy schemes across the UK. To also drive the business development of new Urban Energy schemes across the UK from concept, through development and build to long term ESCO's
(2) Places & Communities - We’re focused on improving the environment we live in. From providing the people, services and products that effect positive change in a community, to building, heating and powering the spaces that they can thrive in. We work within the community, listening and responding to ensure our sustainable initiatives and energy solutions deliver lifelong impact.
Rewards and benefits for winning solutions:
Successful applicants will be given an opportunity to participate in a unique, innovative project that ties in closely with operational needs. To do this they will get personalised support from ENGIE UK & Ireland. Shortlisted project teams will be invited to give a presentation to the judging panel on 19th June at the Urban Sciences Building, Newcastle University, Newcastle Helix.
The package may also include:
- The development of a prototype or pilot
- Technical support
- A potential business collaboration
Deadline for application: 13th May 2019
Context - The BIG Pitch
The UK & Ireland BU has hosted events for our global ‘ENGIE Innovation Week’ for the last four years. The events have been located across the UK, with an annual showcase event being the major UK & Ireland BU event. A major part of the showcase event is the Big Pitch. Previous winners have gone on to implement their solutions on ENGIE UK & Ireland sites.
This year's showcase event will be held at the Urban Sciences Building, Newcastle University, Newcastle Helix. The finalists of this competition will be invited to this year’s showcase event to take part in the BIG Pitch that will take place during the day on June 19.
Who is this call for projects for?
This call for projects is for Startups, SMEs, Entrepreneurs, existing Companies and Technology companies.
- Innovative nature of the solution
- Technology Readiness Level 7 or above
- Maturity of project/solution
- Coherence of the proposed business model
- Feasibility/ economic viability
- Ability to launch project quickly / Ease of implementation
- Return on investment period.
- Launch of the call for projects: 1st April 2019
- Submission close date: 13th May
- Selection of 1st round pitches: week commencing 13th May
- Shortlisted project teams will be invited to 1st round pitches session via Skype, week commencing 20th May
- 2nd round workshop & pitches: week commencing 3rd June
- BIG Pitches from finalists to members of the selection panel: 19th June
- Announcement of winners: 19th June.
ENGIE is a leading energy and services company focused on three key activities: production, supply and management of energy, facilities management and regeneration. Our employees combine these capabilities for the benefit of individuals, businesses and communities throughout the UK & Ireland.
We enable customers to embrace a lower carbon, more efficient and increasingly digital world. Our customers benefit from our energy efficient and smart building solutions, the provision of effective and innovative services, the transformation of neighbourhoods through regeneration projects, and the supply of reliable, flexible and renewable energy.
ENGIE improves lives through better living and working environments. We help to balance performance with responsibility, enabling progress in a harmonious way.